Saturday, March 16, 2024

Planting in shade

Shady Corner 

So I'm trying to create something in this little patch of the garden. 


This is a shady patch, and last season I planted an oak leaf hydrangea. I see these all over Austin, and they're gorgeous. Typically hydrangeas struggle mightily here, because they are just not suited for the hot dry summers. But oak leaf hydrangeas should do well in Central Texas in the shade, and the ones I've seen around town are beautiful. They don't do well in alkaline soils either. I've never had my soil tested, but we are clay-laden here in East Austin. This is a shady part of my property, north-facing. It was almost decimated in last summer's 105+ heat spell. I managed to keep it alive with regular waterings. This is what is popping up this spring: 
Just the one stalk, whereas last spring I had 4-5. These get to be 6-8 feet tall, with beautiful cone-shaped white flowers. I had plentiful flowers last year. I am praying I can get this one to be more established. Maybe this season it'll do better, since this is its second year here. 

Since it seems to need more moisture, I'm planting other moisture loving shade plants around it. I got gulf penstemon, wood fern (which I planted last fall, which died to the ground over winter, but is now popping back up), and once again, I planted another gold columbine. I have tried three separate spots in my garden with good shade, and every time columbine has died off. 

I also transplanted a Texas persimmon. I have another in my yard that has done really well; fast growing, producing lots of persimmon in the fall. They are now popping up everywhere. So I thought I'd give it a go in this spot, since they seem to do fine as an understory tree in a shady location. I am trying to create a bit of a privacy screen from my neighbors, whose window is just above our fence. I wasn't sure if it would survive transplanting, but I'm seeing little green leaves starting to pop out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment