Saturday, March 16, 2024

Container plants

Container Plants on my Porch 

I managed to kill all my tropical container plants over the winter during our weeklong deep freeze in Austin. I wanted to replenish my supply, and add some greenery to my screened in porch. I promise to take better care of this batch of plants. 

In the front, birds nest fern, followed by monstera in the middle, and alocasia silver dragon in the back. 


I'm probably taking a risk with these plants. Upon further research, I'm finding that the silver dragon requires a lot of humidity, an environment like that of its native rainforest. This porch is north facing, with very little direct sunlight, mostly dappled light through the pecan trees in the backyard. But the humidity will be hard to come by in a few short weeks. March is a weird month in Texas; it lulls you into thinking you can have a rich, green, damp garden. I always have high hopes in March, only to have them dashed by late June. To monitor this plant for problems, I will keep an eye out for yellowing leaves (signaling root rot) and curling leaves (signaling too little moisture). I think I will place that pot on a tray with water, to help with ambient humidity. And I'll probably have to bring it inside during the hottest summer months, as well as the winter, naturally. 

Last year, I had good luck with a white bird of paradise. I'm aiming to get another one this year. I killed it in the freeze - it stayed out overnight in 20 degree temps and it was done for. I also killed my night-blooming cereus, which had been doing well. I was pretty upset with myself. 

I also have a coleus and a prayer plant. I was looking for plants that would do well in shady conditions. But I will have to take care about watering this year. 
                 

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment