Friday, October 23, 2015

Signs of fall

Leaves are starting to drop, although temperatures are still in the 80s during the day (and this week the low temps are still in the 70s!). We finally got our first bout of fall rain, thank God. It's been a long, dry stretch, and while I was trying to water pretty regularly, it seemed like it didn't really make an impact. The clay that we have around here seems to become an impermeable membrane.

Here was the view of the oncoming rain a couple of days ago from the Mueller parking lot. That was the last little bit of sun...


Trees are losing their leaves. I'm not great at identifying trees, but I think the distinctive seeds are characteristic of the American sycamore. I love the beautiful bark of sycamore trees. They are elegant, aging ladies. 

Here's our pecan tree in the front yard:

I went to work and came home, and half the leaves were in my driveway. I hadn't even noticed the color changing much.

And my favorite sign of fall - the blooming fall aster, full of bees. I wish this plant bloomed longer and earlier because it brings such a lovely jolt of color and interest to the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment