Sunday, October 18, 2015

Inside Austin Gardens Tour

I saw four gardens on the Inside Austin Gardens tour yesterday. Here are a few highlights:

Monarchs in the Crestview neighborhood, dining on orange cosmos.

Pam Penick's backyard (soooooo jealous). Her pond.

Her whale tongue agave.



Beautiful mix of yucca, sotol, grasses and some flower plants in west Austin.


Passionflower still on the vine. I'm thinking about getting some kind of a trellis over my walkway and growing a passionflower vine, or maybe around the entrance to backyard.


View from the last stop overlooking the river. The pool had a waterfall. Some people have it all.  

I've never seen this plant before - cobweb spiderwort - but I love its thick, fuzzy leaves. Apparently comes from Northern Mexico and doesn't need a lot of water. I wonder where I might find more of this?

Esperanza with orange flowers, instead of the usual yellow. Pairs beautifully with fall aster. This picture gave me some inspiration for my yard. I just planted an esperanza that I bought from the Wildflower center - perhaps I'll dig up some fall aster from other spots in my yard to place below the esperanza. They both bloom in the fall, so it'll be the perfect pairing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment