Sunday, April 15, 2018

New plants from the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center!


Arrangement of a few agave poking out of a sea of Mexican feathergrass and fall aster
Another beautiful spring weekend, with a few storms and wind thrown in. Friday I took a half day to attend the Wildflower Center's Spring Sale. I love getting my plants here. First, I know they're all native plants suited to this area. Second, it benefits a good cause, as the Wildflower Center does so much to preserve and educate the public about native plants. Third, it's pretty affordable. I renewed my membership and got a coupon for 3 free plants. I also got 10% off my purchase with my membership. And of course, Friday is members' only day, so I can beat the rush and get plants before they sell out, although several plants had already sold out when I arrived Friday afternoon.

The Wildflower is my zen place. I love coming here. I was happy to see the mama owl is back at her nest by the front entrance. A curious baby owl was sticking its head out to check on all the gawkers below. The entrance is so peaceful, with ginormous wind chimes and a little pond with a fountain and native water plants.

I didn't have time to do the full walk around, but the new meadow they opened a year or two ago is always pleasing, especially in spring with all the wildflowers in bloom. I did a quick spin through the shady garden. I wish I had a little stream like this one in my garden at home.




So, I made it out with only 40... okay, 42 plants! Because I can never have enough plants! 
This time I'm working on that bed out front that is brand spanking new. I should probably wait to plant until the grass is good and dead under the cardboard-mulch topping, but I am impatient (not a great trait in a gardener). Some photos from my Sunday in the garden:

Adding some mealy blue sage, coneflower, Berlandier's sundrops, black foot daisy, among many others 
Arranging my new plants















I was able to get a few in the ground.

Time for everyone's favorite game, find the sleeping cat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment